Securing permission to work in Ireland as a non-EEA national can be a complex and difficult process. Under the Employment Permits Acts 2003–2014 there are 9 types of employment permit, including a General Employment Permit, a Critical Skills Employment Permit and a Dependent/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit.

We advise both employers and potential employees on the best option to secure a permit to work in Ireland for their specific needs. We prepare detailed employment permit applications and appeals to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation and assist clients throughout the application procedure. 

Generally applications for General Employment Permits must have a minimum annual remuneration (pay) of €30,000. Remuneration includes the salary for the job and health insurance. There are exceptions that allow applications for jobs with an annual salary of €27,000 such as;

  • Recently graduated students in areas on the Highly Skilled Eligible Occupations List.
  • Overseas recent graduates who have been offered a position as an ICT professional.
  • Those who have been offered positions from companies getting support from the State enterprise development agencies, for specialist language support and technical/sales support.

Contact us for more information on Irish employment permit options.


Coming to the UK to work as a non-EEA national means applying through the current Points-Based System.  Most applicants will apply for a Tier 2 visa which replaces an older work permit scheme. Before you can apply for a work permit UK you must satisfy the following work permit requirements:

  • Have received a confirmed offer of employment from a licensed UK employer who will act as your sponsor; and
  • Be in possession of a Certificate of Sponsorship issued by your sponsoring employer; and
  • Pass the points-based assessment.

Currently, with the transition period ending on the 31st December 2020 the New points-based system will take effect on 1st January 2021 and therefore both Non-EEA and EU citizens will be subject to the new work permit requirements. 

These are similar to the current work permit requirements such as; an offer of employment from a licensed UK employer who will issue you with a certificate of sponsorship and gain 70 points based on the points assessment.

We provide a full range of advice on various visa and UK residency options for non-EEA citizens who wish travel, work, conduct business or study in the UK.  Contact our solicitors for more information on how we can assist you.